Thursday, April 15, 2021

Bike in a Box

 

Well shifting gears today. I was going to just be bussing  

over the snow on the next mountain pass and I needed 

to box up my bike for the shuttle. Buses wont take bikes  

without being in a box and I started to think. I don’t

bike in snow.  I am in North Bend Washington now and

heading into serious mountains for a few more states. 

Having issues with walking & pushing my beasty bike

uphills. They seem to be getting more steep and longer

uphills.  Having metal (6 screws and a steel plate) in my

right ankle now for 40+ years, I’ve been able to maneuver

pretty well with walking some, but biking works much better.

I had a left hip replacement 5+ years ago, which adds another

dimension to my limitations-restrictions.  Biking appears to

going great on flatter surfaces, but walking, especially

having to push the beast over the hills, is getting tough. 

Yesterday, I pulled a hamstring in my left leg which added

more discomfort because I had to push - carry my bike

up this switch-back (6) level hill with no grade

(kind of like Turtleback Trail).  

Anyway, I’ve decided to will change my strategy -

my bike is in a box now. I want to get out of the

mountains and find leveler ground.  Probably knock out

3 states and a 1,000 miles - I’m okay with doing 3,000 miles

instead of 4,000 miles, yeah!  KRJ booked a greyhound

bus to Billings Montana, have a few days layover there

- then head to Casper, WY, still 5000 ft. elevation, 

but coming down to 2500 ft. in Valentine, NE to begin the very flat

Cowboy Trail.  Wish the bus went to Valentine,  

but Casper is the end of the road.We watched a video of two guys biking

this part of the country, it feels doable from there. 

I’ll build my strength heading east toward Iowa. 

I might push myself at times, but I won’t risk life & limb.  

Will add more later once I’m back in my motel again. 

Met some amazing folks yesterday - life is precious and fun!

Thursday am - Waiting for my liftoff - everything I own right here!!!- North Bend, WA.  - 10 AM Thursday 

 


7 comments:

Unknown said...

Can't find the words right now but somehow surrendering to the divine feminine comes to mind with trusting your navigator and your inner wisdom. Enjoy the beauty.

Wendy Sager Evanson, RN, LMT, RME, BMCP said...

good choice wise Bill
🙏💞

AK2NM said...

You got to know when to hold 'em,
Know when to fold 'em,
Know when to walk away and know when to take the bus.
Kenny Rogers

Unknown said...

From lavonne

Jackie said...

Bill,

So glad you can be flexible about your journey. I'm glad to hear that you can move past the mountains and snow and into the rest of the journey. I'm sure by the time you hit the next mountain range you'll be trail-hardened. Good luck and enjoy the bus ride.

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear about your hamstring but glad you're taking it easy for awhile. Hoping the road levels out; so you can start cruisin' for a bruisin'.

The gym and I miss you.

Sandi said...

Life is the journey

Home

Haru's beautiful song, "Home'... Now going home Where buffalo don’t roam There might be a gnome …..shalom!! ...had to do it….on...