Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Friends are People

People are friends.   It just dawns on me that all my friends and acquaintances, I have never had a social alcoholic drink with.  This is phenomenal. It is something of a miracle that I have NOT had some form of cocktail for almost 40 years.  As a self-proclaimed introvert, I thought I needed a stimulus to be more sociable & likable.  In a previous lifetime, I owned and operated my own beer keg-meister for hosting my beer-drinking buddies. Everybody I knew - coworkers, neighbors, relatives - all drank beer and were offered one immediately when entering the house.  

The friends I have today have never seen me with the ‘beverage’ and I feel so blessed to have these people in my life.  This experience I am having now, and have been preparing for the last 3 years, has truly shown me friendship like I’ve never before experienced.  People have been exceedingly generous with support. Spiritually, energetically, financially, and lovingly.  Feeling verklempt has almost become a common occurrence for me lately.   

When I took my bike into the local bike shop at home, the gal said she was praying for me.  

As I was pushing my loaded bicycle up this huge hill in Washington state, this guy stopped to offer to haul me up to the top.  Yes, yes, I replied gratefully. Dan and I talked for half an hour and he wanted to know about


our blog.  Never can I recall doing anything like that.  

Sitting outside a convenience store, this gal inquires of my status and we chat for a while. She also wants to follow our blog.  This is way out of my realm of past experiences.  

Being raised on a small dairy farm in MN and going to a one-room country school of 8 grades, with one teacher and I being the only student in my grade for 8 years, being social was not a familiar trait I learned or felt.  

After entering AA at age forty I experienced a whole new way of life, and how to socialize without the ‘beverage’.  I am feeling and sensing a deeper connection with people where ever I go now.  My feelings are at the very surface of my beingness.  I sob at the slightest sensitivity or emotion nowadays.  Someone sent me the song title of Alan Jackson’s song ‘The Older I Get’, a few days ago, I sobbed deeply over the implications of the song.  

(2) Alan Jackson - The Older I Get - YouTube 

It has taken me 80 years of life to begin to understand that humanity is loving and caring and generous regardless of my background or status.  

I find myself so far out of the box now, I don’t even know where the box is anymore.  Regardless of viewpoints or societal norms, I am finding a deeper honesty & friendship in our small community of T or C than I ever have.  This experience that I am currently in, has highlighted a genuine feeling & sincerity of what life is really about.  This was never taught me in my younger years- Germans were Germans - Catholics were Catholics - and that’s life!

  

All this baggage seems to be surfacing while in my solitary confinement.  Life is changing very fast these days.  I am finding this extremely exciting because it feels like consciousness is increasing among humanity.  My solo journeying provides reflection time, meditation & much changing!!!


2 comments:

Barb Dewell said...

I don't know if it's age-related, but it seems the older we get, the more grateful we are for all our many gifts. Seems like the world comes into focus more and feelings are felt more - it's a great time of life. I'm happy for you! 😊

Amy Putkonen said...

What a unique experience this is, Bill. A treasure for your life. It might not seem like it each moment, but hang in there!

Home

Haru's beautiful song, "Home'... Now going home Where buffalo don’t roam There might be a gnome …..shalom!! ...had to do it….on...